Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Memories

Wow I can't believe that Christmas is already upon us once again. I always get a little emotional this time of year (particularly this year). I'm eager to say goodbye to 2010. A lot has happened to me, my family and friends in our lives. I think they agree with me when I say 2010 sucks.

Anyways back to the memories thing. Now I was making some Christmas candy the other night with the kids. It made me remember the Christmases of when I was a kid. I remember after thanksgiving, helping my Grandma Ray make her peanut brittle, fudge,chocolate covered pretzels and etc. It was something that was really special to me. So, I wanted to bring that tradition back for my kids. I really miss her this time of year. I prefer to think back on those days before she got sick.

This year I had to say goodbye to the woman who became my grandmother. She was special to me. She was always there when I needed her. She came to all my sports games when I was in school. She was there when I had my babies. She even threw me a babyshower along with my friend Krystal (whom has also passed) and my mother. We used to spend Christmas eve with my dad's (step-dad's) family. She made it worth it to go in the later years. I will never forget how she took care of me after I had a tooth taken out. She took care of me so my mom could go back to work. She made me chicken soup. It was from the can but she still made it special.


1991. I was 8. That was the last time I remember seeing my father. Though not to be confused of the last time I talked to him lol. This was my best and yet saddest one. My mom took me up to Heritage Mall (back when it was good) to see him. We walked in to the food court area. I remember seeing this guy with long dark curly hair, a cowboy hat and an earing. Turned out it was my father. (at this point I hadn't seen him in a while). He took me around all the stores to pick out presents. Just me and him while my mom went and done her own shopping in the mall. I remember waking up the next morning. I walked up to the door then froze when I saw my Father and mom were alone. I hated the feeling after all that happened while they were married. I turned to go back to bed, but mom saw me. "Kari its alright come on in here." Well I opened my presents from my father and they were all the ones I had picked out. The like "make-up" case, the snoopy diary and earrings. None of which I have now. Mom and I got dressed. Since my grandparents were still in bed we thought we would meet them over at my Aunts house. We piled into my Father's beater truck. My dad had plastic where his back windshield should have been. It was so cold that morning, not even the heater kept me warm. We get to my Aunt's house and of course I make a bee-line for my cousin,Kat to play with the game she got. Then my Father had said "Pumpkin I gotta go. Come give me a hug and kiss." So I did and he left. That was the last I saw of him. I didn't hear from him from that day til I turned 18. I last talked to him in 2001. Found out 7 years later that he passed 9 months after our talk.

Now I remember staying up all night Christmas eve after I had A (2004) and S(2006). Because I was so excited it was their first Christmas'. We got to spend it with Family for A's first Christmas. Unfortunatly we had moved to Maryland when S' came around. But it was still the best Christmas yet. It was our first one as a completed Family.

This feels good to get this all out. Funny how you find things to blog about when you're driving in your car. I'm looking forward to making more Christmas memories. Especially for the kids. Now to close. here is a link to one of my favorite jingles. It just isn't Christmas if you don't hear this at least once LOL.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJBB65r-9o

1 comment:

  1. And where is my Christmas candy, Ms Betty Crocker???? And I hate that jingle. It stays in my head for days. Love ya dear. Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete